Thursday, January 12, 2012

Numbers on the scale

I always know when I'm totally committed to my weight loss journey because I step on the scale daily.  I know I should weigh in once a week but I have a compulsive personality -- it's all or nothing with me. I've been watching the numbers on the scale fall and 15 pounds is huge, think of it as 15 boxes of butter or 3 five pound bags of flour.  I know this is an accomplishment but when I look in the mirror I don't see any physical changes.  This to me is very frustrating.  I've had some very good friends point out a couple of things to me that I will try to keep with me 1.  Slow and steady wins the race (tough advice for an impatient person like myself but I know it's true)  2.  You didn't gain it all in a month, you're not going to lose it all in a month (again, this is true but it sure does seem to go on faster than it comes off)  3.  Try carrying around the 3 bags of flour for an hour you won't believe that you carried that extra weight around.  All wise words that I will keep in mind as I go forward.  This is a critical time as previous weight loss attempts came to a hault after about a month and 15 to 20 pounds.  On the other hand, I now fit into a pair of jeans that I wasn't able to prior to the holidays.  So I guess as long as those numbers keep moving down on the scale the physical changes will eventually show themselves.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder why they say you should get on the scale daily? I do that... and it does fluctuate YUCK! Hang in there - you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have traveled this road a lot together. Unfortunately my goals were attained through my mistakes and ill health. My hope for you is that you will reach your goal the healthy way and you will never have to go the route that I did.

    Just remember one thing, when it is all done, you will emerge a healthy young woman that will be able to teach your children the right way. Never ever let people judge you for what you look like. It is what inside that counts. You don't need to change any of that.

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mom, that means a lot. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete