Monday, January 30, 2012

Chelos and Greggs

For my followers not from the area, Chelos and Greggs are two local restaurants well known for their delicious desserts.  The food is decent but when you say let's go to Chelos or to Greggs it's secret code for let's go and have dessert. 

This past Saturday I ate at both places because of dance competition. (I did do what I planned and brought fruit for snacks throughout the day) For lunch we went to Greggs. My plan was to have a salad with chicken salad on top.  While we were looking at the menu we noticed on the back page their was a healthy eating section that actually listed the calories.  Turns out the salad I wanted was about 510 calories vs a turkey sandwich on rye which was 490 calories. Not a huge difference but I'd rather have the sandwich over a bowl of lettuce so, I opted for the turkey sandwich.  I was very pleased to see this page in their menu. Very helpful.  Of course we had to go to the front counter and pay as the most incredible desserts stared at us.  (Noticed the desserts were staring at us...not us staring at them). 

Lunch being at 11:30 we were starving by dinner time which was 8pm (thank God for packing the snacks). We couldn't get into most restaurants as there was a 45 minute wait pretty much everywhere.   You do not want to tell a "dieting" person who hasn't had a meal since 11:30 am that they have to wait yet another 45 minutes.  So we ended up at Chelos knowing we would not have a wait.  I didn't even examine their menu to see if they had a healthy options section as I knew I was just going to have the baked scrod. 

After visiting two of our favorite dessert restaurants in one day and knowing we would NOT give into to the cheesecake, willy wonka pie, or any other fattening option but still wanting something a little sweet, we decided to ask the server what kind of pudding they had (as it was listed on the menu as a dessert option)  he then informed us that they had no pudding.  Note to Chelos please update your menu.  I made the executive decision to go to stop and shop and by good old fashion Jell-o pudding.

Went home and had dessert.  It wasn't a big ol piece of cheesecake but it hit the spot. Nothing like a cup of chocolate pudding and a dollop of cool whip.

Another successful trip dining out. I love when I can get in and out of a restaurant and stick to the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment