Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The DC Adventure

I'm back from my four day adventure to Washington DC. My friend asked me yesterday...How did you do with the food?  The best answer I could come up with is I did "fair" with the food.  It was extremely difficult. Everything was fast food.  Now the positive news is that I maintained my weight.  That in itself is a small miracle.  I wanted to come back having lost a pound or two.  But the mere fact that I did not gain is something I'm very happy about.

We left on Thursday morning there was a breakfast stop at Mcdonalds. I had my usual there...the Egg McMuffin, no egg.  Those who know me well, know I won't touch an egg.  Lunch stop was at another rest area where there was a food court and the best choice for me was Quiznos so I had a sandwich.  Dinner that night was at yet another food court at a mall and I ended up with Chinese food of which I only ate half.  The following three days breakfast was at our hotel, but the choices were limited to eggs, sausage patties and fruit. This was ok as I would have a bannana and some OJ.

Friday we again visited a food court for lunch...had some chili from Johnny Rockets.  Dinner that evening was on The Spirit of Washington dinner cruise it was a buffet, Mac and Cheese, Chicken, Pulled Pork, Rice and salad. So I had myself some salad and a piece of chicken. 

Saturday lunch at the American Space Museum...you guessed it another food court...This time there was a choice of Mcdonalds, Pizza or Boston Market, so I went with the Boston Market and had the chicken.

That evening Dinner was hamburgers at Fudruckers.

Traveling home on Sunday more food court food.

I eat out a lot but it would normally be once a day, not three times a day.  When I'm in charge I go to places where I know I can be in control. This trip was definately out of my control where it came to the food. I made the best choices possible. The sad thing is that I did not enjoy one single meal.  Especially the dinner cruise, I hardly ate a thing that evening because the quality was just not to my liking. In fact When we got back to the hotel the girls and I were hungry so we had a pizza delivered. I had a half a piece, it was one of the worst pizza's I've ever had. 

If I'm going to eat I want to enjoy what I'm having.  This is more important to me than ever since I'm watching what I eat.  If I'm going to eat it, it needs to be good otherwise it's not worth my time.

I realized a couple things on this trip.  The first thing is I wish I could pack my scale and bring it along with me on the trip.  I've become a bit obsessed with weighing myself every day to make sure I'm on track.  I thought about my scale often on this trip.  I couldn't wait to get home and get back on it so I could know what I was doing. (I know what you're thinking....who is this person and where is the real Lisa)

The other thing I realized is that I'm already seeing the difference in the things I can do since I've lost 35 pounds.  I truly believe I would have had a harder time walking the streets of DC.  I know I would have had a very difficult time walking in Arlington Cemetary as it was very hilly.  I am more than positive I would not have been able to tackle the 58 steps up to the Lincoln Memorial.  (I could have definately gone up those steps more than once.)  And even though I'm not at my goal weight, I can out walk whiney 14 year old girls. 

Even though I didn't come back with a weight loss, I still feel successful.  It's these small successes that keep me going.

2 comments:

  1. The salt in all the fast food was horrendous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed! I have gone from eating fast food a few times a week to eating none so to have to live with it for four days was did not make me happy.

    ReplyDelete